Peter Moran is an experienced commercial and dispute resolution lawyer focused on advising and acting for Australian and international corporate clients in the key areas of:
- Technology, Internet Law and Intellectual Property
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Structuring, Corporate Advisory, Joint Venture, Partnership and Shareholder Matters
- Commercial Litigation
- Property and Leasing
His clients operate in sectors including technology, health, aged care, manufacturing, retail, funds management, hospitality, mining, professional services, property development and not-for-profit.
- Intellectual Property – copyright, confidentiality agreements, trademarks and passing off.
- Online businesses and contracting, including service level agreements, digital services agreements, SaaS agreements, website and software development agreements, escrow arrangements.
- Corporate and Commercial Law: sales and acquisitions of business, assets, shares and units, structuring advice, corporate governance, compliance and general commercial advice.
- Privacy, data protection, defamation, misleading or deceptive conduct.
- Litigation experience, appearing in all Victorian jurisdictions and the Federal and Federal Circuit Courts.
- Disputes – breaches of contract, restraints of trade, breaches of directors’ and fiduciary duties, oppression, misleading or deceptive conduct, taxation and guarantee defences.
- Property: sales and purchases, property development structuring, construction agreements, sub-division, stamp duty and GST, finance documentation, property litigation, commercial leasing and lease disputes.
- Negotiating service level and digital services agreements with organisations such as Rio Tinto, Qantas and BHP Billiton on behalf of a number of technology companies.
- Acting for an Australian-based oil and gas company in the negotiation of its confidentiality and other agreements for the purposes of a joint venture and/or sale of tenements in Papua New Guinea.
- Advising an Australian manufacturer (with subsidiary operations in Indonesia, Denmark and the USA) on its acquisition by a Hong Kong-based venture capital group.
- Advising a not-for-profit medical research organisation in the drafting and negotiation of its funding and other agreements with federal government departments, hospitals and universities.
- Acting for a privately owned childcare group in the sale of 22 childcare centres to G8 Education Limited.
- Advising on a substantial restructure of a mid-sized funds management company, including drafting of constitutions, unitholder agreements, trust deeds, shareholder agreement, investment management agreements, service level agreements, employment and independent contractor agreements.
- Acting for a global company in a $40 million+ insurance claim pursuant to its D&O insurance policy for legal costs arising from a Royal Commission.
- Acting for numerous managers/founders in the sale or merger of their start-up companies to private equity or listed groups.
- Acting for a private developer in the construction and opening of several medical centres and private hospitals.
- Acting for landowners in a joint venture contract for the sale and development of $40 million+ parcel of rural land in Melbourne’s northern fringes.
- LLB (Hons), BA (German) – Monash University
- Accredited Business Law Specialist – Law Institute of Victoria
Directorships and Related Positions
- Co-Chair: Technology and the Law Committee (The Law Institute of Victoria)
- Editorial Board: Internet Law Bulletin (LexisNexis)
- Director and Responsible Person: Lindisfarne Foundation
- Advisory Council: HealthXn Pty Ltd